Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thinking Pink!

I could have sworn I posted more recently than September ... didn't I mention my enameled heart throb work? My ring a week and my work a day?

So following my enameling mania in January (yes that was the Heart Throb posting - must be on my website - sadiecuming.com) I got stuck on hearts and continued the theme with 1950's style lampworked cutesy hearts.


Fuschia pink is the Holy Grail in the glass world and I thought my fuschia pink hearts were the bee's knees! Well that was until I lost two days of manic pink glass heart making to cracking ... all but one bead destined to be a pendant and one small heart with a prospective future as one earring cracked in the classic thermal shock line down the middle!


I was using an old variety of Effetre Gold Pink #456 and encasing it with Effetre Crystal Clear #006. After discounting thermal shock (all the black cored hearts survived) I had to conclude an incompatibility with my version of Rubino. The Pink quest was on!

Friends rallied around sending me various samples of #456 (different from my own)... and suggestions of other suitable colors to try. How wonderful! I'll be posting examples of the pinks as I produce them color by color as a record and for comparison over the next few days. I'll be aiming for some consistency.

Here is the color of my incompatible #456 purchased around 2005 or so. I'll be hoarding mine for it's fuschia properties ... despite the incompatibility issues.


No comments: